So, I shut my finger in the door. “Tallman” to be precise. Thumbkin fled the scene and is not taking questions.
As is the case in too many of my injuries it happened when I was trying to do something good…in this case I was taking out a piece of recycling.
“No good deed goes unpunished,” some say. The worst instance for me was when I was bowling for charity…I re-injured my knee by dislocating the kneecap part to a place it never belonged. Getting carried out of a bowl alley also has its own special kind of humiliation. That was an expensive bowling match that ended in surgery for me.
I’m going to try to find the humor in this far less devastating event.
5 Things You Learn When You Get a Purple Finger
1. The thump thump throbbing finger thing you learned from cartoons is exceedingly real. Darn you Fred Flintstone for making it look trite!
2. The finger known formally as “Ringman” gets an instant promotion. “Go Ringman. Go Ringman!”
3. A lot of middle-aged women and girls under the age of 7 like the color purple, but prefer it in a blouse.
4. “You must be glad it’s not your dominant hand,” is not a sympathetic enough phrase to tell someone with an injury. This is especially true when it’s coming from a spouse.
5. A doorknob as a specific purpose and function. Use it wisely.