The following list of 6 is semi-humorous and/or satire:
The first 6 of 12 Ways to Spike Blog Hits
• Say “vagina”. (It doesn’t even have to relate to the rest of the post. Just wave the it around. The word, that is, not anything else. Wait! What did you think I meant? And also a shout out to Rachel Held Evans who’s keeping things vaginal. The word picked her, actually, and she’s a good sport despite the monkey business. Get it?)
• Threaten Violence. (This is especially powerful if the sentiment is violent but the reference is farcical. You come out smelling better this way too. Pretty even.)
• Disclose something sexual, or promise to.
• Feed people lurking around for controversy. (Stick to newsy bits, disputes, scandals, injustice, corruption, you get the idea. There are many prowling for this, so really, it’s SO Money.)
• Post about something sordid, or be a punk. (Titillate. Be explicit, rude, foul-mouthed, try adult-themes, sexual content, unhealthy habits, dangerous stuff, immoral activities, etc. Hello, bad ass.)
Many readers give in to their worst or weakest appetites. That’s just the facts.
These next 6 are the ones I endorse. They won’t get you the same sorts of quick spikes, but they will build a loyal and good-natured readership over a longer term.
They also have quite a but to do with generosity.
The last 6 of 12 Ways to Spike Blog Hits
(and by “spike” I mean not that at all, probably)
• Thank others openly (Ed Cyzewski does this well. Thank you, Ed, for teaching me a lot here.)
• Be a credible resource or niche expert (I’ve mentioned my new niche here.)
• Be humorous, amusing, or feature those who are. (Remember this fruity Bert & Ernie classic? …What? I can’t hear you?…What a duo! I plan to “hat tip” this in an upcoming video.)
• Invite others into your limelight (Guest contributors are one way. So, Call me. By that, I mean tweet me.)
• Link up with great causes (Here’s a new favorite of mine: The Good Woman Project)
If you learned something here today, do one of the last 6, k?